Derm Shield is a breathable, waterproof bandage that can be used to protect a new tattoo. It is made of a thin, clear film that helps to keep the tattoo clean and free of bacteria. Derm Shield can also help to reduce the amount of scabbing and itching that can occur during the healing process.
How to Apply Derm Shield
Derm Shield is typically applied by a tattoo artist immediately after the tattoo is finished. The bandage is cut to size and then applied to the tattoo. The edges of the bandage are then smoothed down to create a tight seal.
How Long to Leave Derm Shield on
The length of time that Derm Shield should be left on a tattoo varies depending on the individual. However, most tattoo artists recommend leaving the bandage on for 24-48 hours. After this time, the bandage can be gently peeled off.
Removing Derm Shield
To remove Derm Shield, start by soaking the bandage in warm water for a few minutes. This will help to loosen the adhesive. Once the bandage is wet, you can gently peel it off. If any of the adhesive remains, you can use a mild soap and water to remove it.
Benefits of Using Derm Shield
There are several benefits to using Derm Shield on a new tattoo. These include:
- Protection: Derm Shield helps to protect the tattoo from dirt, bacteria, and other contaminants. This can help to prevent infection and reduce the risk of scarring.
- Moisture retention: Derm Shield helps to keep the tattoo moist, which is important for the healing process.
- Comfort: Derm Shield can help to reduce the amount of itching and discomfort that can occur during the healing process.
Drawbacks of Using Derm Shield
There are a few drawbacks to using Derm Shield on a new tattoo. These include:
- Cost: Derm Shield can be more expensive than other types of tattoo aftercare products.
- Adhesive: The adhesive on Derm Shield can be difficult to remove, especially if it is left on for too long.
- Irritation: In some cases, Derm Shield can cause irritation to the skin.
Derm Shield is a safe and effective way to protect a new tattoo. However, it is important to follow the instructions carefully and to remove the bandage as soon as it is no longer needed. If you have any concerns about using Derm Shield, you should talk to your tattoo artist.
- How to Apply Derm Shield
- How to Remove Derm Shield
- Benefits of Using Derm Shield
- Drawbacks of Using Derm Shield
- When to Use Derm Shield
- When Not to Use Derm Shield
- Derm Shield is not a substitute for proper tattoo aftercare. You should still wash your tattoo with soap and water and apply a thin layer of unscented lotion twice a day.
- If you experience any signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, or pus, you should see a doctor immediately.
- Derm Shield is not recommended for people with sensitive skin. If you have any concerns about using Derm Shield, you should talk to your doctor.